Saturday, April 18, 2009

Butter Bread

~This is a great recipe that my mom makes all the time. It reminds me a little bit of sourdough bread. It is always a hit!
One batch makes 2 loaves, and the ease of a bread machine makes it an easy recipe.

~Kari


Butter Bread

1 c. buttermilk (or milk)
1/4 c. butter or marg., softened
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
4 c. flour (with wheat or rye bread will be denser)
1 pkg. yeast (2 tsp.)

Put all ingredients in bread machine as your directions indicate. Set on dough setting. When dough cycle is completed- turn on floured surface- divide in half.

Place each half in a greased loaf pan. Spray top of bread with cooking spray to stay soft. Allow to rise for at least an hour in a warm place.

Bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes.

My Notes:

~We always use buttermilk- not milk
~I use a little more than 2 teaspoons of yeast....not quite heaping, but not level, either
~I usually place my bread in the oven to rise after letting the oven heat up on "warm" for a few minutes
~After it bakes, I usually rub a little bit of marg. on it.
~I do not handle the bread much other than turning it on a floured surface. I do not roll it and tuck the ends under in order to shape the bread- I simply lightly form it into a "rectangle" of sorts and place it in the pans.

Enjoy

No comments: