Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

This bread is oh-so-soft, a beautiful deep chocolate color, and has excellent taste and texture. I love it! It was a big hit with my husband and kids, too. If you prefer to make it more like traditional zucchini bread, I've included those notes below, as well. The recipe makes 2 loaves, so it is great to make one for your family, and one to share with a neighbor or friend!
Enjoy!
~Kari


2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour flour
1 cu whole wheat flour (I like to use King Arthur Whole Wheat flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Shred zucchini; place in strainer and press or squeeze with hands to get rid of some of the extra liquid. In a mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, and oil together. Stir in the flours, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa, mixing just until all ingredients are combined. Add vanilla; mix; Add drained zucchini. Mix well. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes at 350°, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.


Note
s for non-chocolate version.
Simply omit the cocoa.
You could also add about 1/2- 3/4 c. raisins and/or walnuts or pecans, if desired

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We grind our own flour so I'm wondering if in place of the all purpose flour we could use the soft white? Thanks for the recipe...looks and sounds yummy!

Rhonda said...

I too grind our flour, and that's what I used. I thought it was great. This is a recipe I will make often for my family. It was a huge hit. Thank you for sharing.